A degree driven by real-time employer demand
Data science skills found in job postings related to the field will grow 55% by 2023, outpacing all other occupations. Search our curriculum and you’ll find the expertise and skills most frequently posted by employers in this high-growth, emerging field. Connect with your admissions counselor to learn more.
The data science job market
Catapult your career with data science
The explosive growth in demand for data science skills is disrupting today’s job market. With jobs growing by 19%, there are more openings than qualified applicants for these jobs. At the intersection of mathematics, statistical research, data processing, and computer science, this hybrid, complex role is high-growth, up to 40% higher-paying than more traditional jobs, and is immune to the threat of automation. RIT is uniquely positioned as a leader in each of the intersecting disciplines that define data science.
With a strong career focus, you’ll learn both practical and theoretical skills to handle large-scale data management and analysis challenges ever-present in today’s data-driven organizations. Designed for working professionals studying online part-time, you’ll be learning with students from varied professional backgrounds and working with practitioners active in the field to provide hands-on experience solving real problems.
What you will learn
- Concepts and skills in machine learning to prepare you to build, tune, and discover actionable insights from predictive models
- Programming language skills in Python and R to be able to synthesize large unstructured data sets
- Competencies in data mining, regression analysis, text mining, and predictive analytics
- How to create, critically assess, interpret, and communicate rich visualizations
This curriculum provides opportunities for you to choose elective courses to pursue a variety of career paths within the broad field of data science and its various application areas. You’ll be prepared--regardless of your scientific, engineering, or business background--to pursue a career in data science.
Credit hours, price & duration
The online MS degree in data science requires 30 credits and costs $1,191 per credit hour (Academic Year 2020-2021). You may complete the degree part-time in as few as 24 months. For your convenience, we offer 2 start dates during the year.
Related graduate-level degrees
RIT’s faculty and curriculum are at the leading edge of creativity, innovation, and design. You may be interested in these degree programs focused on data analytics which also emphasize application of emerging technologies, tools, and strategy to impact and influence industry.
Master of science in data science curriculum
DSCI-623 | Introduction to Data Science Management (3 credits)
DSCI-633 | Foundations of Data Science (3 credits)
DSCI-644 | Software Engineering for Data Science (3 credits)
STAT-614 | Principles of Statistics (3 credits)
STAT-641 | Applied Linear Models - Regression (3 credits)
DSCI-799 | Graduate Capstone (3 credits)
Elective (9 credits):
STAT-745 | Predictive Analytics (3 credits)
STAT-747 | Principles of Statistical Data Mining (3 credits)
STAT-773 | Time Series Analysis and Forecasting (3 credits)
ISTE-782 | Visual Analytics (3 credits)
DSCI-650 | High Performance Data Science (3 credits)
- Hold a baccalaureate (or equivalent) degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Have a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (B average), or related professional experience.
- Submit official transcripts (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work.
- Have prior study or professional experience in computer programming or complete bridge courses as required.
- Submit a minimum of two recommendations from individuals who are well-qualified to assess the applicant’s potential for success.
- Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Submit a personal statement of educational objectives.
- A test of English Language aptitude is required of all applicants and course registrants whose native language is not English.
- Certain countries are subject to comprehensive embargoes under US Export Controls, which prohibit virtually ALL exports, imports and other transactions without a license or other US Government authorization.
It’s quick and easy to apply!
Start your application now. We encourage you to begin your application now! Simply create an admissions account, and then begin your online application, which will take about 15 minutes to complete. You may save your work and return at any time. Your application may be submitted with or without the application fee and any supporting documents you wish to supply.